Friday, July 11, 2008

Big apple?

On Saturday, I went on a little bit of a road trip with my cousins to New York. It was my first time in the city, so i was super excited. The drive was about 8 hours... but we made it fun by crankin' up the oldies and playing Ispy. Once we got there, we checked into our ridiculously overpriced hotel, and got settled. Our hotel was right between Soho and Chinatown, and just a block away from little italy.

We saw the sights, and the buildings, and the traffic and so on... we also saw Wicked on broadway (which was A-freaking-MAZING). I also discovered my fear of automatic-flushing toilets. We don't really have those in Canada, and I was freaked out to say the least... I don't know about you, but I find those things incerdibly creepy.

The whole time I was there, I kept asking people if they knew why NY was called the "Big Apple"... and no one seemed to know. It is still seriously bugging me.

I did some shopping, and I got some writing done while I was down there. I also found myself writing 2 poem-type things, one on the way TO new york, and on on the way BACK. Check em out here if you want to:

The City
The endless green sea streches into the vast summits of forever
This mechanical wasteland, woven intricately through
As time drags by uncharacteristicly slow;
The city waits for us.

Homesick
Her pen digs through the tattered pages
as blurred scenery and the unfamiliar pass by wordlessly
her desires have been granted much to her gratitude
although her TRUE longing is miles in the opposite direction
The inner battle rages on as she fights back tears
How can a disarry of humanity hold on so tight?
Well they say that "Home is where the heart is",
Maybe she's just too mentally apathetic to argue

--Lauren

4 comments:

Emily the Great said...

Hello! Thanks for the comment- as it turns out, I will be going camping this summer with my best friend, so that will be fun. And I really like your blog title! Well, and your blog too of course =] I like the one about your Big Apple trip. Talk to you later!

Stay Cool.
-ETG
xxx

Dezzy said...

ohhh. loved the "poem-type things" as you called 'em =]lol. my favortie was the second one=]great blog! stop by mine sometime=] by the way I have no effing clue why its called the Big apple either?? hmm im deff. gogglin that=]

Dezzy said...

lol well this site on wikipedia told me why its called that but i didn't understand =] lol i kinda get it now though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Apple

Anonymous said...

The city is great! I'm glad you had enjoyed yourself. :) I'm going into NYC in late August, and I'm definitely excited. :) Thanks for commenting on my blog. Hit back.